– Fascinating article about North Korea’s theatrical public mourning, from the New Yorker: “Grief took on a competitive quality. Who could weep the loudest?” http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/closeread/2011/12/the-tears-of-north-ko…
– The kind of public display in this video is not rare in North Korea. Here’s another example of mass hysteria / outpouring of grief after the death of Kim Jong Il’s father Kim Il Sung, in 1994 http://youtu.be/NrvIM1ENcbA
– Here’s the last distributed photo of Kim Jong Il before his death… riding a supermarket escalator http://i.imgur.com/M44Zq.jpg
– A great gallery of photos “Inside North Korea” by David Guttenfelder http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/08/inside-north-korea/100119/
– Iconic image of Kim Jong Il with his son Kim Jong Un, from October 2010 http://i.imgur.com/ytXxV.jpg This was a World Press Photo award winner, taken by Vincent Yu.